Re: [HCDX]: Why QSL? (was: Re: addresses)

Re: [HCDX]: Why QSL? (was: Re: addresses)

Hi all,

I've been reading the QSLing trends thread with interest and would like to
add my impressions...

Over the past 26 years, I have been a fervent hunter of QSLs, I've had a
persistent attitude and I've used consulates, visits, e-mail, Prime
Ministers (for Radio Bahamas) etc... I would attempt to QSL every station I
heard... hold on to copies, send follow-ups, include US dollars, tapes,
IRCs, souvenirs etc etc... I would continue to pursue stations, even if they
were regularly heard, for 10 years or more... it's cost me an arm and a
Watkins Johnson probably! However, I've been reappraising my attitude to
QSLing over the past 12 months or so. I used to hunt QSLs for several
reasons...

1. Proof I had heard a station - in all my years of DXing, only once has
someone said "show me your QSL to prove you heard such-and-such" so I did
and they still didn't believe me!

2. Competitions - the New Zealand Radio DX League used to have a very strong
competitive element. Best of the Month awards, QSL totals (Ladders), Best of
the Years and various other sundry enticements were highly sought after and
encouraged people to QSL... now the number of DXers chasing QSLs has
dwindled to where these historical contests are won almost by default... so
it's no longer an incentive to QSL

3. Collection - like a stamp or coin collector, I've accumulated QSLs over
the years. The majority are filed in albums but no-one ever asks to see
them, and I'd bore any visitors silly if I dragged them out to brag about.
Now with almost 3000 QSLs in my "collection" even this aspect is losing it's
novelty value.

4. Achievement - setting myself targets, e.g. 250 Latin QSLs on MW, QSLing a
new country or a hard-to-hear station. This is one area that I will focus on
in the future.

5. Two-way street - when a station solicits reports and offers QSLs,
something I'll continue to do.

So I guess I'm probably heading towards maintaining a audio ID data-base on
the PC or cassette... and  chasing the odd QSL I'll treasure,  it'll save a
considerable amount of money too... I'd hate to have to tell my wife how
much I've spent on postage over the years... probably have that 4 x 4 in the
driveway..

I still get a real kick out of hearing rare stations and love DXpeditions
where a technical approach to new aerials devices etc can yield positive
results and I really enjoy sharing my Beverage site with other DXers so they
can reap the rewards of long aerials in a quiet environment.And if any of
you are traveling in this direction and would like to try DX
Waianakarua-style, I'd be happy to host you.

Cheers all,

Paul