Re: [HCDX]: Why QSL? (was: Re: addresses)

Re: [HCDX]: Why QSL? (was: Re: addresses)

OK, all. I'll bite on this one. Of those that have replied/ responded to
'Why QSL'; I have sincerely enjoyed reading the pro's and con's of QSLing.
My views are as follows:

I have to go with Paul Ormandy almost line-for-line. Although I have slight
variations to his theme. As far as 'proof' goes, I have had (again) only one
person ask me for proof of reception. Which I dutifully showed. He then
noticed that my return address was from another state; where upon he
promptly stated that reception of stations should be within 50 miles of your
base (home) receiver. This was a member of the MDXC (Minnesota) when I was
living there. I had to point out to him that the MDXC regularly took to
DXpeditions that by far exceeded his '50 mile' limit; of which he was a
willing participant in most cases but did NOT collect QSL's.
    I now live in Washington state. Now what do I do? Throw all of my
Minnesota and previous return address QSL's away? I have been to all 50
states in this country and I have loved EVERY minute of it. My father was in
the USAF for 25 years; so you tell me, WHERE is my home base?
    I have competed in various competitions over the years. One of which, if
I recall correctly, was a special broadcast from Gambia in the early 80's
for a certain club in Europe. If I remember right, there were some VERY
irritated people on this side of the pond because they weren't given enough
advanced notice, if at all. I remember thinking at the time while reading
excerpts in certain NA bulletins; "Well, that sucks!".
    I now look back on that and think about R. St. Helena and the internet
and how Ed Kusalik, me and certainly others have tried to convince R. Fiji
to return to SW; and all of the great things that have happened since then.
    My other competition has been with my very close friends in the SW
hobby. They have helped me since 1981. I seem to align myself with QSL
collectors. It's a race that only we know. The great thing about the race is
that it never ends because it's that sense of achievment towards each other,
not against. I have 217 countries verified (per NASWA) and can GUARANTEE you
that some of these would not have been possible without help from them; nor
them from me.
    Also, I look back to the early 80's when I operated a couple of pirate
stations. I am (as I write this) looking at reports from George Zeller, Fred
Osterman, Joe Talbot, etc. in their requests for QSL's; which, as they were
correct reports, I hoped they received QSL cards. The point is this: I have
EVERY broadcast log of those transmissions I made back then. I CAN STILL
VERIFY CORRECT RECEPTION REPORTS. Therefore, I do not deem it useless,
redundant or otherwise that I write follow-ups to a station 10 or even 20
years later. Case in point:  Received full data QSL card, prepared QSL,
pennant, keychains and stickers from XEW on 730 kHz from 1981 just last
year!
    These QSL's are worth the effort! These are the things that I look
foward to in my mailbox aside from the regular drudgery of bills and other
bad news.
    If I remember right, I read somewhere that distant reception reports
(ours) to the station proved that the signal was AT LEAST, reaching its
intended local target, if not further afield; thereby proving to prospective
clients that it was in their best interest to advertise on the station.
Whoops! Wouldn't that be that 'two way street', thing?.
    Another thing, I DO have tapes, people. But, let me ask you this for
example:

Do YOU have a tape of Radio Berlin International's last broadcast?        I
DO!
Do YOU have a pennant from Radio Berlin International?
I DO!
Do YOU have a QSL card from RBI's stamped  'Last Broadcast'