[HCDX] Tropical Hams: is it a real danger?

[HCDX] Tropical Hams: is it a real danger?

Now - instead of making guesses and asumptions about what the "vicinity to 5 MHz" actually means I've asked ARRL what they were looking for and got this reply:  "The range that is being investigated is 5150-5450 kHz.  We'll propose the 150 kHz in this range where amateur operation would appear to be the most compatible with existing uses".

So obviously no need to worry about the 60 metre band for tropical broadcating.

Should it turn out to be posssible to find a part of the short wave spectrum to be available for a new service, I would suggest it to be made available for DRM rather than for radio ameteurs.

I'm in this "business" of radio because I'm into broadcasting. And radioameteurs are into radio for something different. When a radio amateur occupy a frequency it is intented only for the sake of two persons - the sender and the receiver. Unlike BROADCASTERS who is aimind at thousends, ten thousends or more LISTENERS at the same time.

I think broadcasting makes more sense than the narrowcasting radioamateurs are carrying out.

So my opinion is that there should not be given any more space on the SW dial to the radioamateurs. I think they should keep what theyve got at present.

Any additional space on short wave should be given to broadcasting.

I am a bit surprised about the negative and almost aggresive attitude towards DRM, which have apperared on HCDX.

Friends, please understand that there are no radiostations broadcasting on short wave for the sake of a handfull of dedicated DX'ers. Radio stations are broadcasting on short wave in order to reach LISTENERS.

Broadcasting on short wave will only survive if it is attractive to broadcasters to utilize this spectrum of the radio bands; if there are any LISTENERS who care to listen here.

Listeners are best served by using the best fidelity available - and DRM obviously is a lot better than good old fashioned AM.

I sincerely hope that DRM broadcasting will occupy special areas of the SW dial in order to avoid interference to AM broadcasters. It would be unwise to let DRM and AM stations use the same frequency spectrums.

Best 73s
Stig Hartvig Nielsen,
Denmark

www.hartvigmedia.dk